Full-grip locomotives; Lagny type

Full-grip locomotives; Lagny type

These machines, two in number, came from the line from Lagny to Villeneuve-le-Comte, which was initially conceded to the Compagnie des Chemins de Fer de Seine-et-Marne. They became the property of the Department after the concessionaire lapsed, and were incorporated into the C.F.D. fleet when the line was taken over by the latter.

Access to our range of locomotives

Description of the Lagny type locomotive

These locomotives, of Fives-Lille construction, belonged to the manufacturer's type 65 and had an interior chassis. Their boiler had a bulky dome on the front shell and the balance valves were mounted on the flat hearth. The fire box was of the Crampton type. The outer cylinders attacked the third axle, favouring yawing movements aggravated by a reduced wheelbase of 1,720 m. The flat drawers were governed by a Stephenson's two eccentric and slide distribution.

Locomotive 030 Couillet No. 12 after its modernization. Here at the depot of Ferrière-d'Aunis, on the Charentaise line from Marans to Surgères
Locomotive 030 Couillet No. 12 after its modernization. Here at the depot of Ferrière-d'Aunis, on the Charentaise line from Marans to Surgères

They had no shelter and the water boxes extended to the front of the machine, which gave them a very special look.

As soon as they entered the C.F.D. park, the Villeneuve-le-Comte workshops installed a shelter with two portholes protected by visors at the front and rear. The primitive Giffard injectors were replaced by Friedman injectors during their lifting.

They were painted black and had polished brass licence plates at the base and on either side of the chimney. A plate bearing the name "L'Anguille" for No. 2 and "La Seine" for No. 4 was fixed on their sides at the height of the steam intake dome. The company had its initials painted on the front and rear crossbeams in white on a vermilion red background on either side of the central stamp on No. 2, No. 4 having been given to the Seine-et-Marne Department in 1902 because of its poor condition. It should be pointed out that until that date these machines were equipped with the double buffer system and that it was only when the final equipment arrived that the central buffer was used.

Type 65 Fives-Lille locomotive of the model used on the line from Lagny to Villeneuve-le-Comte
Type 65 Fives-Lille locomotive of the model used on the line from Lagny to Villeneuve-le-Comte

Delivery and assignment of the Lagny type locomotive

Machine no. 2 was used on the line until 1908, when it was withdrawn from service because of its low power. It was, for a moment, considered to be handed over to the Department of Seine-et-Marne, but negotiations between the latter and the Company led to its abandonment to the C.F.D. for the purpose of its sale and the use of the proceeds to purchase a new machine. Finally, the C.F.D. dismantled it and sent the chassis to Toulon-sur-Arroux and the boiler to Chablis for repair. It seems that Toulon-sur-Arroux was chosen for its final reassembly because of its future use in the Gueugnon railway station to provide a service to the Etablissements Campionnet (Forges de Gueugnon). This reassembly did indeed take place in Toulon-sur-Arroux in 1912, but it seems that its use by the Company was short-lived because, as early as 1914, it was acquired by the same Forges de Gueugnon to ensure the operation of the trains inside their factory. Registered 51, it began its service on May 1, 1914.

This locomotive was not yet definitively out of the hands of the Company, since some thirty years later, in its Montmirail workshops, the Company transformed it into a locotractor for the Forges de Gueugnon. This last machine with the No. 105 lining was delivered to Gueugnon in 1948.

Plan of locomotive type 65 Fives-Lille 030 (Scale 1/43.5)
Plan of locomotive type 65 Fives-Lille 030 (Scale 1/43.5)
{d}Con.
DELIVERY TABLE OF LAGNY-ANDINDRE TYPE LOCOMOTIVES
No. C.F.D. BuilderYear of ConstructionDelivery DateCommissioning dateObservations
21854Fives-Lille187101.01.0001.01.00 The Eel (1)
41769186901.01.0001.01.00The Seine (2)
81112Pinguely190203.03.0228.04.02Tractor (3)
82113190203.03.0228.04.02Reform 1956
83114190203.03.0228.04.02Reform 1956

(1) Sold in 1914

(2) Surrendered to the Seine-et-Marne Department in 1902

(3) Solvay Dombasia tractor

source : MTVS 1988-4

Related Articles

The CFD Company

in the face of the second world war

After having faced the First World War, the C.F.D. company was at its peak an...

The CFD Company

CFD lines and track

The composition of the C.F.D.'s patrimony.

At the time of the Company's most prosperous period, around 1930, the total l...

CFD lines and track

The operation of CFDs

The creation and supply of a machine in less than a year

CFD Company's experience as an operator, now a hundred years old, and the dyn...

The operation of CFDs
Contact us