The Saône-et-Loire network, serving the Forges de Gueugnon, was obliged to provide an important shunting service in this station. To do this, the 030 Fives-Lille "L'Anguille" machine had been detached from the Mortcerf depot. This machine having been sold to the Forges de Gueugnon to serve their domestic network in 1914, the Toulon-sur-Arroux depot had to provide a machine from the concession to replace it. In 1930, as this locomotive became necessary to cope with the line service, the Company considered acquiring a small petrol tractor to replace it. After various consultations with the manufacturers, it opted for a two-axle model manufactured by Maison Petolat in Dijon.
Description of the Petolat des C.F.D. tractor.
This machine was equipped with a 12 HP Austro-Daimler engine driving both axles by means of chains. The engine was placed under a small front hood. The cabin, with a forward-facing roof, was located at the rear and extended into a small hood housing the fuel tank and a tool box. A platform with a reinforced railing had been fitted at the bow for the marshallers. A running board ran on each side along the length of the vehicle. Visibility was restricted, with only two skylights at the front and rear. Its weight was 4 t.
The livery of this tractor was light grey and the yellow painted markings were limited to the company monogram and registration on each side of the body.